Trailing comma in IEEEXplore BibTeX

Friday, September 28, 2012 Posted by

As a frequent user of the IEEEXplore database to search for literature concerning wireless networking, I often export a citation to BibTeX for use in my papers.

One of the things which has puzzled me for a long time, is why the BibTeX exporter adds a trailing comma after the last field.

Read the rest of this entry »

LaTeX and PRISM: syntax highlighting in the listing environment

Wednesday, September 19, 2012 Posted by

You may be using the PRISM Model Checker for your research. You may also want to put some code in your text, for instance in your PhD thesis. Using and the Listings environment is probably your best bet. Read the rest of this entry »

Saving power by disabling sound chip on Linux

Monday, September 10, 2012 Posted by

For years I have been running Linux servers. Some time ago I built a NAS box running Ubuntu Server. I’ve done quite some tweaks to reduce power consumption. But there must be more. Or less, so to speak.
Read the rest of this entry »

Google Scholar citation email verification does not work

Friday, August 3, 2012 Posted by

Anyone who has ever done anything even remotely related to science is probably aware of Google Scholar. There’s this feature where you can keep track of your citations (e.g. how many and which papers by which authors cite your publications). A very nifty feature and quite easy to set up. Your data will only show up after your email address has been verified. And that’s where stuff borked.

The verification link did not work, giving a 404 Not Found error. After inspecting the url I noticed that the dots in my email address had been removed. I figure they probably have some scripts there like php’s
htmlspecialchars() and addslashes() to prevent such things as SQL injection, but apparently this also removes dots from the email address being verified, and then obviously the url does not coincide with what I entered, yielding 404.

Solution: simply add the dots in the url and it works.

spaces in MiXiM makemakefiles

Friday, July 20, 2012 Posted by

MiXiM uses a ‘makemakefiles’ script, which makes the Makefiles by means of the following command:

make -f makemakefiles

However, after some modifications (adding own stuff) it stopped making new Makefile files. From visual inspection, nothing is wrong with the file. However, there’s a subtle thing you may want to check: the TAB in front of each line. DO NOT make the mistake of adding a few spaces, this is not just there to prettify things, opp_makemake apparently delimits on this TAB and gets severely upset from spaces there.

Removing any spaces and adding a TAB fixes the problem.